Blog

How to Check iPhone Antenna Signal Strength

December 4, 2012 — by WEBOOST

SHARE ARTICLE

Happy Tech Tip Tuesday!

This month we’re talking about a common question in tech support–“how do I really find the signal strength on my phone?” Well, let’s address that! As you probably already know, two of the most common phones today are the iPhone and android phones. Today, we’re going to go over how to access the signal strength in both of these common phones. If you happen to have a different phone other than an iPhone or android, there are other resources available to find your signal strength. You can find a list for the other phones here: http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/test-mode-instructions

For finding signal strength in a phone, we access it’s “test mode”. Test mode is a part of the phone’s programming that accesses data not commonly available.

To get into test mode on an iPhone, you first go to the dial mode, and type in
*3001#12345#*, and then hit call. This has put your phone in to test mode. Up where your bars used to be (top left corner), there is now a negative numerical value. This is all great and dandy, but what in the world does this number mean?! Well to give you an idea, -60 relates to being next to the cell tower, while -105 is about where you can expect to start dropping calls and seeing failed text messages. A signal of -80dB to -90dB is the recommended for using data/internet.

Test mode for an Android phone is easy as well. First, go to your System
Settings. Scroll to the bottom, and click on the About Phone button. Now, scroll to the Settings button and click on it. Your signal strength should be listed about halfway down. It has the same dB range as the iPhone (and all phones for that matter).

There you have it! As always, if you need a stronger cell phone signal, Wilson Electronics can help! Give our Technical Support team a call at 1-866-294-1660, or shoot us as email at [email protected].

SHARE ARTICLE

TAGS:

For buildings greater than 7500 sq ft, we recommend our WilsonPro brand of products.
signal bars
Improve your signal up to 32x
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT

Comments (9)

Phil Weaver on December 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm said:

I have an Sprint HTC EVO 4G. It does not have the Settings button as described in the “Test mode for for an Android…”. Is there another way to get the signal strength?

Thanks

Thomas L Hartsock on December 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm said:

Thanks that helped me to find it on my xyboard tablet as well. Good job,and by the way that signal booster is remarkable I’m rural and it slingshoted me into the 21st century, recommend highly to anyone that has the same problem. If you buy one you won’t return it. Wonderful product.

Don’t know what else to say except great job

[email protected].
    Sincerely Tom

Kathlene on December 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm said:

I purchased a in building cell phone booster and I am still having problems keeping a signal. I have an older phone will it help to get a 3G or 4G phone. I keep getting dropped calls on my current phone. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

Taylor White on December 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm said:

Kathlene,
      I am sorry to hear that! I would love to look into this further, but I need some more information. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected] so I can address this? Thanks!

frank on December 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

How can i find the best signal strength for my Wilson Booster to make even better, it helps a lot with our phone i just like to get a better signal i live 8 miles away from the nearest cel tower i have the one for home desktop

frank on December 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

Larry on January 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm said:

Can you tell me how to get an LG Xpression with the standard LG OS into test mode to find the RSSI levels?
    Thanks.